Ingredients – cake
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
275g white or wholemeal self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
Grated rind of 2 lemons
NB: If using white s.r. flour, 4tbsp of flour is enough. However, if using wholemeal flour, a little extra milk may be needed.
Ingredients – drizzle
175g granulated sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
- Line a 30x23x4cm tin. Preheat oven to 160 Celsius/Gas 3.
- Place all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat until well mixed.
- Pour the mix into the lined tin and bake for 25 – 40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling wire placed over a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Mix the granulated sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl and spoon the mixture over the cake while it is still just warm.