I found this skin balm in the Handmade Apothecary by Vicky Chown & Kim Walker. I find it works equally well with Lavender too. Please note, this is not recommended for conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
Fresh lavender or Rosemary
Cosmetic grade beeswax
1 jar with a screw on lid (I use a large Sun Pat peanut butter jar that I’ve sterilised)
Cosmetic or food grade recyclable pots
- Put the fresh lavender in a jar and pour olive oil into the jar to cover the lavender. Screw the lid on and shake well.
- Shake every couple of days for 2 – 3 weeks
- Place a bowl onto a set of kitchen scales, make a note of the weight (zero the scales if you have the digital variety). Drain the olive oil into the bowl, retaining the lavender. Make a note of the weight of the oil.
- Add 20g of beeswax for every 120ml oil to the bowl.
- Place some boiling water into a pan over a medium heat. Put the bowl of oil and wax onto the pan, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Gently heat the oil until the wax has melted.
- Once the beeswax has melted, divide into the pots. Leave to cool before putting lids on.
- Use within eight months