- 1 whole chicken
- 500g green lentils
- 2 small (1 large) onion, roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 2 chicken stockpots dissolved in 800ml boiling water
- Put the sunflower oil in a frying pan and heat, add the onions and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir vigorously for a few seconds before adding roughly 700ml of the stock.
- The stock should boil quite quickly, so pour into an ovenproof casserole dish and add the peeled garlic cloves.
- Place the chicken on top of the lentil stew, season with salt and pepper and place in an oven preheated to 170 Celsius until he chicken is cooked.
- Check the dish regularly, topping up the lentils with the remaining stock if things seem to be getting dry.
Optional extras for serving:
- Fresh salad
- Onion rings
- Poached eggs
- Whatever you fancy